Are you aware?
As of this writing (September 30th, 2011), protesters have been occupying Wall Street, the financial district of New York, for 14 days straight.
Adbusters, a radical leftist/anarchist magazine is behind the successful organization of Occupy Wall Street. The occupation has received endorsements by hacktivist group Anonymous, Noam Chomsky, the IWW and others. Names such as Immortal Technique, Michael Moore, and Cornel West have attended the occupation. The left seems to be united in a mass showing of solidarity that perhaps has not been seen for quite some time. Anti-Flag would also like to officially extend their support.
The protesters have expressed their contempt for the owners of the top 1% of America’s wealth using that wealth to keep the other 99% of the U.S. population under its control. The official blog for the campaign takes it a step further in its mission statement:
We need to retake the freedom that has been stolen from the people, altogether.
If you agree that freedom is the right to communicate, to live, to be, to go, to love, to do what you will without the impositions of others, then you might be one of us.
If you agree that a person is entitled to the sweat of their brows, that being talented at management should not entitle others to act like overseers and overlords, that all workers should have the right to engage in decisions, democratically, then you might be one of us.
If you agree that freedom for some is not the same as freedom for all, and that freedom for all is the only true freedom, then you might be one of us.
If you agree that power is not right, that life trumps property, then you might be one of us.
If you agree that state and corporation are merely two sides of the same oppressive power structure, if you realize how media distorts things to preserve it, how it pits the people against the people to remain in power, then you might be one of us.
And so we call on people to act
We call for protests to remain active in the cities. Those already there, to grow, to organize, to raise consciousnesses, for those cities where there are no protests, for protests to organize and disrupt the system.
We call for workers to not only strike, but seize their workplaces collectively, and to organize them democratically. We call for students and teachers to act together, to teach democracy, not merely the teachers to the students, but the students to the teachers. To seize the classrooms and free minds together.
We call for the unemployed to volunteer, to learn, to teach, to use what skills they have to support themselves as part of the revolting people as a community.
We call for the organization of people’s assemblies in every city, every public square, every township.
We call for the seizure and use of abandoned buildings, of abandoned land, of every property seized and abandoned by speculators, for the people, for every group that will organize them.
We call for a revolution of the mind as well as the body politic.
Bold added for emphasis.
Amber, one of the protestors currently occupying Wall Street, shared her story with us on our forum:
“. . . I love that it’s so organized, we basically are creating our own city in the park, we have a kitchen, legal center, library, and basically everything you can think of. It’s amazing that everyone is remaining so peaceful, despite some police violence.”
We hope that anyone involved can share their stories, photos, and videos with us, so we can broadcast them to the rest of the world.
If you’re unable to attend, we have included a live stream below that will allow you to see what is going on in real time. The live stream is not available 24/7, but it will broadcast revolutionary news and events when it’s not. Check back frequently to ensure you are able to see the occupation in progress!